Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Book Covers

CNN contributor Bob Greene suggests that book jackets are a dying art. In this article, he spotlights nine great covers. Which ones are your favorites?

I am a sucker for great packaging. Although I try to never judge books by their cover, I admit that there have been a few I've picked up simply because the jacket caught my eye. Two recent attractions yielded drastically different results.

The woven blue notebook of Paul Auster's
Oracle Night lured me in much the same way that the possibly supernatural journal ensnares the protagonist. Oracle Night was my first foray into Auster's work. I loved the mysteries and complexities on every page and now I can't get enough Auster. I scour the library and bookstore shelves for his books and since I discovered we are almost neighbors, keep my eyes peeled for him when I'm walking around Brooklyn.

I expected to read something fascinating or scientific after opening the cover of Galt Niederhoffer's
A Taxonomy of Barnacles. I find this book polarizing. Some critics call it a contrived vanity project and others find its zaniness charming. I agree with with the former. I will steer clear of the author's future endeavors, but I must admit a desire to talk to her agent or editor about how structuring the novel more like the science project-like cover could have improved the writing and, ultimately, sales.





images found here, here

3 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of chick lit authors complain about the sameness of their covers (hot pink, high heels, martinis, etc.) but it sure comes in handy when I'm browsing. I agree it's a lost art, though. I'd never seen that Gatsby cover before. (I think I had the movie tie-in version!) Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm yes, the sameness of the "chick lit" covers is a problem. I do tend to skip over entire bright pink sections of the bookstore!

    I do love that Gatsby cover. The female shapes inside of the eyes? Perfect. I never liked the lavender paperback cover of To Kill A Mockingbird. It felt somehow dishonest... maybe too modern? I love the classic black and orange cover, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can now direct you to the reason for the death of book jacket art: http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk

    ReplyDelete